What is the difference between traditional marketing and digital marketing?
Marketing has always relied on non-digital means to deliver the message to the public such as magazines, newspapers, television, billboards, traditional mail, etc. This is now often referred to as traditional marketing.On the other side, digital marketing is the use of the internet, mobile devices, search engines, social media and other digital channels to reach customers and market products.
Categories of digital marketing
According to digital marketing expert Neil Patel, all digital marketing falls into 11 main categories.
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): This category of marketing refers to using search engines to reach customers or to display products and services.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): This category of marketing ensures access to current and potential customers by improving the quality of the content on the webpages.
- Pay-Per-Click Marketing (PPC): In this category of marketing the advertiser only pays when the advertisement link is clicked on.
- Social Media Marketing (SMM): Various social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, offer tools for businesses to market their products. This is is referred to as Social media Marketing.
- Content Marketing: The creation and marketing of important and quality content to customers. Content such as articles, videos, photos, etc. to enrich the customer experience and increase their loyalty to the advertiser.
- E-mail Marketing: The marketing of products and services by sending e-mails to mailing lists.
- Viral Marketing: a marketing method that spreads the marketing message in a very fast way and reaches a large number of people.
- Influencer or Affiliate Marketing: Using influencers like artists, celebrities, athletes, and so forth to convey the message of digital marketing.
- Digital Radio Marketing: Marketing through the use of digital broadcasting.
- Digital television Marketing: Marketing through the use of digital television.
- Mobile Marketing: Digital marketing by using all the above and different platforms that users browse on mobile.